Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Interview with Niklas Hook - Designer of Moogh

Welcome to the first in a series of interview that I'll be conducting with game designers who are participating in board game design contests on Board Game Geek. Today, I'll be interviewing Niklas Hook who designed the game Moogh for the The 2016 9-Card Nanogame PnP Design Contest.

Tell us a little bit about yourself and your gaming history?
I have a background in design and advertising. I been involved in a lot of online entertainment/gamification projects. I always loved games but only jumped at designing them about 2 years ago. I have never published a game. but participated in a couple of bgg contests. Also with Fools of the feas for the 18 card and Childrens game design contest.

What is your favorite PNP game?
I don't have much experience with PnP - but I loved the PnP of Secret Hitler before it was released.

How did you first discover PNP design contests?
I came from BGDF.com where I only participated in 500 words game contests. It lead me to the Bgg. I never tried PnP before.

Could you describe your game from a thematic point of view?
I think theme was the main driver in the development of this game. I was probably influenced by the ads of ubisofts prehistoric game (primal fear?) which I did not try yet. I unfolded the historic theory about either puching Mammoths off a clif or driving the up against a cliff in prehistoric hunting.



Could you describe your game from a game mechanics point of view?
The mechanics evolved from the competition rules. Using very few components. I wanted a coop experience where you need to corporate but when you do you always give your opponent an advantage - making it hard to actually win. Also the AI of the Moogh is predictable - like the cavemen are so experienced in hunting that they have a feeling of the Mammoths actions.

What were your design goals with the game?
I'm not sure I remember anymore. I think to capture the feeling of trying to down a wild and BIG beast.

How long have you been working on your game?
4 months or so? I started the competition with another game I am less proud of (but am planning to improve.)

Finish the sentence: “If you like , then you’ll probably like my game” and perhaps let us know, what the similarities and differences are.
umm I have no idea. maybe Colt Express - in a tiny scale. Very thematic and players who like slight control but find it funny when things go crazy by randomness..



Thanks for reading! For more interviews with game designers, please subscribe to the blog!

If you have entered a game in a PNP Design Contest on BGG, you can fill out this interview form to get coverage on your game.
Contest Interview Form

Please consider supporting the blog.
Support the PNP News Blog on Patreon
Support the PNP News Blog on Paypal

For more PNP News, please see the blog's companion site on BGG.
Print and Play News on BGG


If you have questions about the blog or sponsored content, please see the PNP News FAQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment